Wine Quote #1
[Barnabas speaks] I will drink water.
Louis L'Amour
Water? But water is not fit for men to drink. For the cattle, for birds and beast, but a man needs ale . . . or wine, if you are a Frenchman. [William answers]Wine Quote #2
[I]t is the wine that leads me on,
Homer
the wild wine
that sets the wisest man to sing
at the top of his lungs,
laugh like a fool – it drives the
man to dancing... it even
tempts him to blurt out stories
better never told.Wine Quote #3
A bottle of wine begs to be shared; I have never met a miserly wine lover
Clifton FadimanWine Quote #4
A German wine label is one of the things life’s too short for.
Kingsley AmisWine Quote #5
A good sherris-sack hath a twofold operation in it. It ascends me into the brain, dries me there all the foolish and dull and crudy vapors which environ it, makes it apprehensive, quick, forgetive, full of nimble, fiery, and delectable shapes, which, delivered o'er to the voice, the tongue, which is the birth, becomes excellent wit.
William ShakespeareWine Quote #6
A raisin on the ground is full of hope that if it just keeps aging, it will turn into wine and get drunk on its wrinkly self.
Jarod KintzWine Quote #7
A wise man did not pour wildfire on a brazier. Instead he poured a fresh cup of wine.
George R.R. MartinWine Quote #8
Alcohol makes other people less tedious, and food less bland, and can help provide what the Greeks called entheos, or the slight buzz of inspiration when reading or writing. The only worthwhile miracle in the New Testament—the transmutation of water into wine during the wedding at Cana—is a tribute to the persistence of Hellenism in an otherwise austere Judaea. The same applies to the seder at Passover, which is obviously modeled on the Platonic symposium: questions are asked (especially of the young) while wine is circulated. No better form of sodality has ever been devised: at Oxford one was positively expected to take wine during tutorials. The tongue must be untied. It's not a coincidence that Omar Khayyam, rebuking and ridiculing the stone-faced Iranian mullahs of his time, pointed to the value of the grape as a mockery of their joyless and sterile regime. Visiting today's Iran, I was delighted to find that citizens made a point of defying the clerical ban on booze, keeping it in their homes for visitors even if they didn't particularly take to it themselves, and bootlegging it with great brio and ingenuity. These small revolutions affirm the human.
Christopher HitchensWine Quote #9
All my favorite establishments were either overly crowded or pathetically empty. People either sipped fine vintages in celebration or gulped intoxicants of who cares what kind, drowning themselves in a lack of moderation, raising a glass to lower inhibitions, imbibing spirits to raise their own.
Monique TruongWine Quote #10
Always carry a corkscrew and the wine shall provide itself.
Basil BuntingWine Quote #11
and I get refill number three or four and the wine is making my bones loose and it's giving my hair a red sheen and my breasts are blooming and my eyes feel sultry and wise and the dress is water.
Aimee BenderWine Quote #12
And sorrows return, though we drown them with wine,
Li Bai
Since the world can in no way answer our craving,
I will loosen my hair tomorrow and take to a fishingboat.Wine Quote #13
And you, their best beloved one, are now to me, flesh of my flesh; blood of my blood; kin of my kin; my bountiful wine-press for awhile; and shall later on be my companion and my helper.
Bram StokerWine Quote #14
Are you handing me an empty wine glass? You’re so thoughtful. How’d you know I wasn’t in the mood to drink?
Jarod KintzWine Quote #15
As if the dead really do persist, even in a bottle of wine.
Thomas PynchonWine Quote #16
As long as I can hear the sweet melody of your words,
Sanober Khan
I need not;
The angel’s secret, to be whispered in my ears
As long as I can lace your silky fingers round my own,
I need not;
Pretty diamonds, nor big cash nor gold
As long as I can watch the handsome sunshine of your face,
I need not;
Open skies, nor snowfall, nor the rain
As long as I can gaze into the emeralds of your eyes,
I need not;
New colors, new wings or paradise
As long as I can feel the tender tickle of your breath,
I need not;
The drifting wind, nor its call, nor caress
As long as I can feel your soft lips upon mine,
I need not;
Melted sugar, nor the most expensive of wines
As long as I can feel your warm body close to me
I need not;
A blanket, nor a bonfire's luxury
As long as I can see you every morning I wake,
I need not;
A mirror, nor a cloud, nor shade
As long as I can keep you in every petal of memories
I need not:
Dreams, nor desires, nor fantasies
And as long as I can hold you in every moment that I breathe,
I need not;
Oxygen, nor blood, nor heartbeats.Wine Quote #17
As we hypnotically watch the steadily diminishing reserve of sand in life's hourglass, the instincts of a miser surface. Life is now savored, sipped as with a fine 19th Century French wine.
Joe L. WheelerWine Quote #18
At church, during communion, they give out free wine. Whoa! Talk about a great place to drink and meet women.
Jarod KintzWine Quote #19
At least with the Catholics, you know that when someone hands you a cracker there’s gonna be wine in the mix at some point.
Peter WattsWine Quote #20
At present, the successful office-seeker is a good deal like the center of the earth; he weighs nothing himself, but draws everything else to him. There are so many societies, so many churches, so many isms, that it is almost impossible for an independent man to succeed in a political career. Candidates are forced to pretend that they are catholics with protestant proclivities, or christians with liberal tendencies, or temperance men who now and then take a glass of wine, or, that although not members of any church their wives are, and that they subscribe liberally to all. The result of all this is that we reward hypocrisy and elect men entirely destitute of real principle; and this will never change until the people become grand enough to allow each other to do their own thinking.
Robert G. Ingersoll
Our government should be entirely and purely secular. The religious views of a candidate should be kept entirely out of sight. He should not be compelled to give his opinion as to the inspiration of the bible, the propriety of infant baptism, or the immaculate conception. All these things are private and personal. The people ought to be wise enough to select as their officers men who know something of political affairs, who comprehend the present greatness, and clearly perceive the future grandeur of our country. If we were in a storm at sea, with deck wave-washed and masts strained and bent with storm, and it was necessary to reef the top sail, we certainly would not ask the brave sailor who volunteered to go aloft, what his opinion was on the five points of Calvinism. Our government has nothing to do with religion. It is neither christian nor pagan; it is secular. But as long as the people persist in voting for or against men on account of their religious views, just so long will hypocrisy hold place and power. Just so long will the candidates crawl in the dust—hide their opinions, flatter those with whom they differ, pretend to agree with those whom they despise; and just so long will honest men be trampled under foot.Wine Quote #21
At times we ought to drink even to intoxication, not so as to drown, but merely to dip ourselves in wine, for wine washes away troubles and dislodges them from the depths of the mind and acts as a remedy to sorrow as it does to some diseases . The inventor of wine is called Liber, not from the license which he gives to our tongues but because he liberates the mind from the bondage of cares and emancipates it, animates it and renders it more daring in all that it attempts
SenecaWine Quote #22
Beer has that Olympic medal color,” Rot replied, “but does it have a winning taste? I’d hardly call silver a champion flavor. No, I’ll stick to my red wine.
Jarod KintzWine Quote #23
Behind every beautiful thing, there's some kind of pain.
Bob DylanWine Quote #24
Blood looks like red wine, but doesn’t go as well with cheese. And too much is spilled in war. No wine should ever be spilled on a battlefield.
Jarod KintzWine Quote #25
Blossom time, drunk together, banishing spring sorrow;
Po Chui
drunk, we broke off flowering limbs, counters for our rounds of wine.
Suddenly I remembered my old friend, gone to the edge of the sky:
by my reckoning, today he must have reached Liang-chou.Wine Quote #26
Books are worse than wine, I say. You read one and you need another - there's no end to it. What ails you that you cannot content yourself with just living on under the sun?
Donna GillespieWine Quote #27
Bring me the wine; tonight I drink all without dreaming you.
M.F. MoonzajerWine Quote #28
But playing your music as loud as you want and coming home drunk aren't real life. Real life, it turns out, is diapers and lawnmowers, decks that need painting, a wife that needs to be listened to, kids that need to be taught right from wrong, a checkbook, an oil change, a sunset behind a mountain, laughter at a kitchen table, too much wine, a chipped tooth, and a screaming child.
Donald MillerWine Quote #29
But remember, boy, that a kind act can sometimes be as powerful as a sword. As a mortal, I was never a great fighter or athlete or poet. I only made wine. The people in my village laughed at me. They said I would never amount to anything. Look at me now. Sometimes small things can become very large indeed.
Rick RiordanWine Quote #30
Come boy, and pour for me a cup
Catullus
Of old Falernian. Fill it up
With wine, strong, sparkling, bright, and clear;
Our host decrees no water here.
Let dullards drink the Nymph's pale brew,
The sluggish thin their blood with dew.
For such pale stuff we have no use;
For us the purple grape's rich juice.
Begone, ye chilling water sprite;
Here burning Bacchus rules tonight!
You May Also Like
- Math Quotes | Quotes about Math
- Lgbt Quotes | Quotes about Lgbt
- Think Quotes | Quotes about Think
- Morning Quotes | Quotes about Morning
- Dreaming Quotes | Quotes about Dreaming
- Spiritual Life Quotes | Quotes about Spiritual Life
- Posters Quotes | Quotes about Posters
- Living Quotes | Quotes about Living
- Medical Quotes | Quotes about Medical
- True Love Quotes | Quotes about True Love
Recent Posts
- Were Wolves Quotes | Quotes about Were Wolves
- End Quotes | Quotes about End
- Create Quotes | Quotes about Create
- Erotic Quotes | Quotes about Erotic
- Leadership Development Quotes | Quotes about Leadership Development
- Snow Quotes | Quotes about Snow
- Self Development Quotes | Quotes about Self Development
- Economy Quotes | Quotes about Economy
- Human Rights Quotes | Quotes about Human Rights
- Biography Quotes | Quotes about Biography
0 comments:
Post a Comment